Friday, October 16, 2009

That's it??


Today I have come to the conclusion that it is only worth it to can your own applesauce if you either get your apples for free, or very, very cheap. Or if you use your apples right away and don't let them sit rotting on the counter for 3-4 weeks. (you end up throwing some away) My latest experience:
Paid- $8. for bushel of apples ( the kids ate a couple, I used a few for my apple/cranberry bread and rolls)
Time spent prepping (peeling, coring, chopping)- roughly 40 minutes
Amount of time stove was on- 40 min. for cooking, 30 minutes heating big pot of water and water bathing the jars.
Then all of the other things in between, stirring, mashing, pouring into jars, washing all of the big bowls and pots. (by hand because they're too big to fit in the dishwasher)
All in all I probably spent a good 3 1/2 or more hours on this and I only got 3 1/2 measly quarts of sauce.
The last time I did this it seemed much more profitable.
So needless to say, the next time I do this, I will have gotten a lot of free apples, Jason will help me, the kids will be in bed, and I will be buzzing on a couple cups of coffee.
Now I'm going to go take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment