Saturday, October 3, 2009

Ham & Veggie Quiche


Our good friend Toni gives us delicious, farm fresh eggs every couple weeks, and between her giving them to us and me buying them, sometimes we have an over abundance of them. That's when I know I have (get :)) to make a quiche. I rarely make quiche with the traditional crust. It's too greasy for me. I make a potato crust instead. Here is my favorite recipe.
Well, from what I can remember. When I cook, I usually just throw various things together without measuring, hoping that they will turn out okay, and surprisingly enough they usually do.
So for the recipes I'll be blogging, I will make an effort to measure the ingredients.





Crust:
3 med-large potatoes
2 Tbs. oil
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
season salt & pepper

Pierce and microwave potatoes for 5-7 minutes ( till soft on outside but not cooked inside ).
Dice and mix with oil, cheese and season. Press into a greased 13X9 baking dish.
Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes.
While crust is baking, prepare egg mixture.

Egg mixture:
7 eggs whisked ( beat them suckers into submission! )
1 cup diced ham
1 small zucchini
1 small summer squash ( yellow zucchini )
1/2 cup frozen spinach
1/4 cup diced onion ( this is optional, I'm not allowed to cook
with onion, seeing as how Jason doesn't like it. But if you don't use onion, please at least use
some onion powder. I can usually get away with powder. :) You need that flavor!)
2 Tbs. oil I ( I like olive oil )
salt & pepper to taste. (Well you know what I mean. Don't mix it all up and taste the raw egg!)
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella

Saute ham, zucchini, squash, spinach, and onion ( if you dare ) in the oil, till half cooked. Season with salt and pepper while sauteing. Remove from heat and add eggs. Pour over hot potato crust, top with cheeses, and put back into oven (uncovered). Bake for about 1/2 hour or until cooked in center.
The quiche is SO good topped with fresh diced tomatoes!

1 comment:

  1. drool.. So when are you going to surprise us with this for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete