Saturday, October 24, 2009

Apple Cinnamon Raisin Bread


I just can't get enough of baking this fall!
I made this bread last week, and just thought I'd share the recipe.


Made with apples, raisins, cinnamon and brown sugar, it is a delicious treat.
Almost like a cinnamon roll, but a bread.

If there is any left the next day, ( I made 3 loaves and was planning to give 2 away, but never got around to it) it makes great French toast!


Recipe

Bread dough:

1 1/4 cups warm water
3 Tbs. softened butter
4 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 Tbs. + 1/2 tsp. yeast

Filling:

1 large apple, diced
1 cup raisins
3/4 cup chopped pecans
cinnamon ( sorry, I didn't measure! Just use your judgment)
1 cup brown sugar
a few Tbs. softened butter

Method:

Add bread dough ingredients to bread maker pan, in the order given above.
Set bread maker to dough setting. Mine takes an hour and 20 minutes.
When the dough is ready, remove from pan and set on floured surface. Roll into a large rectangle.( sorry, didn't measure it! I really need to get better at this! :) Maybe a 30"X 12")
Spread dough with softened butter. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon, and other filling ingredients. Roll into a long ( 30" ? ) log. moisten seam with water and pinch together. Cut into 3 loaves. Put into greased bread pans. Cover and let rise in warm area for 1 hour. Brush tops lightly with beaten eggs, if desired. ( makes them nice and shiny!) Bake at 420. for 30 minutes, or until nicely browned.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. when you make it into french toast, add a layer of cream cheese in between the bread before you dip both sides in the french toast "solution"--it is an incredibly tasty treat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo yeah, I have tried that before. When I add cream cheese I also put some jam or fresh fruit or pie filling. My sister Sarah taught me that. Totally gourmet!

    ReplyDelete