Friday, November 6, 2009

Fried Mashed Potatoes


My favorite way to use up leftover mashed potatoes, is to fry them.
Put them in a hot, non-stick pan (trust me, I learned the hard way) with a healthy amount of butter. Ok that didn't sound right. Healthy and butter do not belong in the same sentence. Ahem. Use a good amount of butter, smash em down a little with a turner, and let them fry a good 5 minutes before turning. The trick is to get them crispy on the outside and mushy on the inside. Mmmmm I can hear them sizzling. Sprinkle season salt and pepper on them, turn them, fry another 5 minutes, and slide them onto your plate. If they don't slide well, you didn't use enough butter. :)


I know, they kind of look like fried fish fillets, or chicken breasts. If you don't want them that brown, don't cook them as long, they just won't be nice and crispy.
Goes great with eggs and bacon, or whatever you like to eat in the morning.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh!! Yummy!! My mom always made these when I was growing up. I haven't ever made them but I LOVE them!! Your post made my mouth water...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to add an egg (and sometime parsley and/or garlic salt) and a bit of flour to make them into potato pancakes and then fry up the same way :) I love them with a dollop of sour cream OR a slice of bri cheese on top :) TASTY :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa, I've never made potato pancakes that way before. Sounds deelish!
    I usually make mine by shredding raw potatoes, and then yadda, yadda, yadda.
    I think I will try it your way next time!

    Stephanie, come on over and I'll make you some! :)

    ReplyDelete