Friday, December 18, 2009

White Chili With Chicken

The perfect food on a cold, winter day? Oh yeah!
This chili is such a nice change from the acidic, cramp inducing, regular red chili. Ok I really didn't mean to make it sound so bad, lets just say that I prefer this to regular chili any day.
With only a few simple ingredients, this is the perfect meal for a busy day. Throw it in the crock pot in the morning and it is done in time for lunch.
This chili tastes best, served with corn chips, cheese and sour cream.



White Chili with Chicken

1- 16 oz. bag of dry great northern beans
1 chicken breast w/rib meat
1 -32 oz. carton of chicken broth
1-7 oz. can of green chilies
1-12 oz. can of evaporated milk
1 Tbs. of minced onion (unless your husband lets you cook with real onion, then by all means use real onion. Jason never seems to notice if I use minced, but don't tell him I said that)
1/4 tsp. of cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. of white pepper
1- 8 oz. brick of cream cheese

Method:

Soak beans in water overnight, or 10 hours. Simmer chicken breast in chicken broth until meat can shred easily with fork. While chicken is simmering, put softened beans into crock pot along with the chilies, milk, onion, cumin, garlic powder, and white pepper.
When chicken is ready to shred, remove from broth, (add that broth to the crock pot too) shred with a fork and add to crock pot. Cook on high for about 4-5 hours, stirring every hour. 10 minutes before serving, add cream cheese, (cut into 3 or 4 chunks) stir a couple times before serving.
Top with shredded Mexican cheese, sour cream and corn chips.

You can also cut down on your prep time if you use pre-cooked, great northern beans from a jar, and canned chicken. I've never made it that way, but it might turn out just fine. Let me know, because I'm a very busy woman, and cutting down an hour of prep in the morning would allow me to sleep in later!

Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Another "White" Chix Chilli Recipe (not white when it cooks) that I got out of the GR Press when I was in college. It was under healthy options--virtually no fat or calories :)

    1 can chicken (I use breasts and shred as you do above but for a quick and easy...use the can)
    1 Jar Salsa
    1 Can Chicken Broth (I have been known to add more)
    1 Jar Northern Beans

    Stir together and simmer 10 minutes. (I have done longer and even used the crock pot...but need broth added at the end)

    Serve with Tortilla Chips and Shredded Cheese (I also like Cheeze Its on top).

    Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good and easy. I'm not sure if Jason would eat it though. He hates salsa. The only reason I get away with putting green chilies in mine is that they cook down to a very pale green, and I don't think he notices them. Ah the joys of cooking for a picky eater!

    ReplyDelete